A Dozen Fall Statistics
1. 95% of hip fractures are caused by falls (3/4 of all hip fractures are women)
2. The average cost to the hospital for a hip fracture is $30,000
3. 1 out of 4 Seniors over 65 fall
4. Every 11 seconds a Senior goes to the ER for a fall
5. Every 19 minutes an elder adult dies from a fall
6. Falls are the leading cause of fatal injury in Seniors
7. 2014 cost of falls injuries was $31 billion.
8. Predict that falls cost in 2020 will be 67.7 billion
9. 87% of all fractures are due to falls
10. By age 80 half of seniors fall annually.
11. 53% who are DC for fall related hip fracture will have another fall in 6 months.
12. Falls account for 25% of all hospital admissions, and 40% of all nursing home admissions 40% of those admitted do not return to independent living; 25% die within a year.
CDC.org and Learn not to fall websites.